In a hotel with wired and no wireless? No problem with Windows 7 #TEE12
Let me give you a handy tip whilst working in a hotel.
You are in a hotel that does have internet access but doesn’t have wifi, or in this case, the wifi is so hammered with all the TechEd attendants that it just isn’t worth it.
However, you do have a wired connection, but now my tablet / mobiles are useless since they rely on wifi and I don’t want data roaming charges.
Well a quick Google / Bing and I found this:
How to turn your laptop into a wireless hotspot:
It talks about some software, but for the command line steps on my Windows 7 laptop worked a treat:
- Start > Search… CMD
- Right click on the command prompt and select “Run as administrator…”
- Type: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=<My Network Name> key=<My Password>
- netsh wlan start hostednetwork
- Go to Change Adaptor Settings, right click on the network adaptor connected to the internet and select Properties
- Sharing Tab
- Check: Allow other network users to connect…
- Select the new network adaptor
- Click OK
Ta daa, instant wireless hotspot from a wired connection and no 3rd party software installed to achieve.
Now back to the work I missed whilst at TechEd Europe 2012!