Windows XP SP3 windows updates not working with 100% CPU–this will sort it!
So I am setting up my new environment at home and I decided to create a Windows XP client machine for myself for the rare occasion that I need it to try out some functionality with XP or Office 2003.
So I install Windows XP Service Pack 3 into Hyper-V on my Windows 8.1 Pro machine and I find that the Windows Update will not install anything. In fact it just kept running with no errors and the CPU would stay at 100%.
Well it turns out that the first thing the Windows Update checks for is updates to Internet Explorer and if you are not up to date with the latest security patch (November 2013 at the time of writing) then you will run into this issue.
The fix… install the latest security fix for either IE6, IE7 or IE8 and then run Windows Update.
That’s it, you’re all done
And the fix was found in the comments:
“The secret is to install the LATEST Cumulative Security Update for your version of Internet Explorer. This stops Windows Update from searching for any IE updates and blocks this update bug.
This is a recurring problem so the current latest version changes each month.
The latest updates are dated November 2013 (as of writing this). Download and install the update that corresponds with your currently installed version of Internet Explorer:
Thanks to DougCuk for the comment!
For the latest security bulletins, go to this link assuming you are reading this after November 2013: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/security/dn481339