Archive

Posts Tagged ‘Bug’

How to break a SharePoint list in less than minutes

My client asked me today the limitation of Sharepoint 2010 in terms of number of words per column types, lines and attachments.

I found the answers in Microsoft website and also this blog http://sharepointgadget.blogspot.co.uk/2010/05/limits-in-sharepoint-2010.html that has a good summary.

But then I wanted to prove myself what “Multiple Lines of Text : 192 Maximum Value” really meant for my end user language, so now is the reference to my title “how to break Sharepoint”:

– In a Sharepoint list, I create a Multi-lines column

– Add the value “0123456789” to have 10 characters, then copy and paste this value a few times to have a few hundreds.

– Now be crazy and copy and paste is a lot, I used Word to count my characters and I arrive to 1Mo.

– From here Internet Explorer (I was pasting in a Datasheet mode) crashed, I could have let it think for 30 minutes but decided to crash it after 5.

– Now re-open IE and this list….

– It cannot open ! to be precise: the page opens but doesn’t load anything (blank page).

– And worse: if the list is also showing in a webpart on a page that page won’t open either. Quite an issue if that page is a homepage right ?

Now I had a problem: the list default view cannot be opened because it contains my very large value in a column, and you can only point to the list settings if you know the unique ID of the list (url http://sharepointsite/_layouts/listedit.aspx?List=%7B3C68CBBE%2D3F51%2D402A%2DA584%GD61A0F8C5AFA1%7D)

To fix it: open the site in SharePoint Designer, then open the list gives the option to

clip_image001

The column are now editable and I can change my “Multiple lines of text” to be “Single line of text”

clip_image002

By doing this the long text value in the column will be truncated (and rich text lost if any).

Don’t forget to close the Column edit tab in Sharepoint designer and save the changes.

Now any page containing the view and the list itself can be opened again.

Advertisements
Categories: SharePoint 2010 Tags: , ,

Form Services / InfoPath 2010 Bug found in Multi-line Plain Text boxes

October 17, 2010 9 comments
Just a quick blog to let users know of an issue I have found during my current project involving InfoPath Form Services (This only occurs in the web and not in the client).  I have logged this with Microsoft and am awaiting response / resolution.

I will update this post when I have closure of the issue.

Scenario:

An InfoPath Form created in Microsoft InfoPath Designer 2010 and is installed as an Administrator approved template.

  • Form Control: Text Box
Display:

  • Read-only – No
  • Enable spelling checker – Yes
  • Enable AutoComplete – Yes
  • Multi-line – Yes
Size:

  • Height: Auto
Compatibility Settings:

  • Form Type: Web Browser Form (2010)
Issue:

  • Browser: Internet Explorer 7, 8, Google Chrome
When running the Form in the web and a user types into the multi-line text box; after 20 characters the text box gets bigger by 1 row.

On evaluation using the IE8 development toolbar.  It would appear that the control is rendered as a <textarea> HTML element and JavaScript runs on the 22nd character and adds 1 to the “rows” attribute of the <textarea> element.

For example:

123456789012345678901 – Textarea row = 1
  • Image Before:
1234567890123456789012 – Textarea row = 2
  • Image After:
This is regardless of the width of the Text Box (Multi-line) control on the InfoPath form.

  • Browser: Firefox 3.6.10
A different issue occurs on the same control in the same scenario within Firefox.

When typing a paragraph until the end of the textbox size, the <textarea> element does not auto expand until the user presses return.

%d bloggers like this: